Saturday, April 25, 2009

Gene Smith drafts value in 2009



Pictured Above: Jacksonville Jaguars first round draft choice in 2009, offensive tackle Eugene Monroe.


With Mark Sanchez going early to the Jets at pick 5 in a trade with the Browns, I thought all hopes of a trade were gone. Well, the trade was gone because value far exceeded at each of our picks and I will rest easy tonight because we had a great first day. Thank you Gene Smith.

Jaguars Selections in round 1,2:
Eugene Monroe, LT Virginia- More than value, that is why there was no trade. No one could equal a fixture at a premium position for 10 years. Rare that we get one.


Eben Britton
, LT Arizona- My first reaction was that it was odd. Then i heard on Sirius NFL Radio that Gil Brandt had Britton as 22 on his value board. Smart move as this was value that solidified the ends of our offensive line for years to come.

Both of our picks should not have happened. Each of these players represented far greater value than their selection as they both should have been gone much earlier. I am proud to be a Jaguars fan on this day and Gene Smith will have me sleeping easy because I truly can trust his moves as our General Manager. He is a rookie no more as he solidified the tackle position of our O-line for years to come. This leaves me even more excited about tomorrow.

Now I hope for Shawn Nelson (TE Southern Miss) and Jarret Dillard (WR Rice) in 4.


Off-the-wall thoughts:

Bill Belichick is the best drafter ever, if certain contract-year starters don't play for reasonable contracts, he has their replacements, and for much cheaper.

Mangini made our move (he traded down three times-in the first round). Touche.

My prediction of Pat White to the Pro Bowl will be right, as White is the new (wild)cat in town, and I have a 3 year window for him to make the ProBowl.

Andre Smith was the second LT taken.

Oakland did take DHB, and off the top of my head the rest were more than likely wrong.

Al Davis is still insane.

Our new uniform looks great on stage, especially when it was held by a 10-year bookend at LT.

In the words of the late Heath Ledgers Joker, Gene Smith is "a man of his wuuurd-ah".


Quotes:
Eugene Monroe was interviewed by Deon Sanders of the NFL Network. Great interview, Monroe has a likable personality and seeing him genuinely excited to see his dreams come true as a Jacksonville Jaguar, well it genuinely made me happy.

Britton also seems likable, but more because of the now "chip" on his shoulder for being drafted low. This should remind you of someone. Yes, Maurice Jones-Drew. Maybe you've heard of him.

On a Jaguars.com interview, Britton had the following to say:

“I couldn’t be happier. Every team that passed on me is going to regret it,” he said. “I’m going to work my (butt) off to be a Jacksonville Jaguar,” Britton said.

“When that first game comes, somebody is going to pay for it,” Britton said. “People told me I wasn’t big enough, I wasn’t strong enough. That all ends today.”

“There’s nobody in this draft that has a bigger heart than I do. I’m so fired up to be a Jacksonville Jaguar you can’t even believe it.”

Britton is a 6'5" 317 pound offensive tackle that will likely compete for the RT spot or possibly play guard.


I am always for a guy that wants to hurt the other team. It may not sound nice but football is a physical sport. The weaker man loses. This goes for the mental aspect as well.

Positional Needs remaining.
WR
DT
CB
C

Remember, new GM Gene Smith drafts by Best Available Player, not by needs.


-Brandon Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment