Tuesday, April 7, 2009

2009-Garrard Ready to Evolve

Garrard is not currently the guy that will take you to the superbowl, put the whole team on his back and "throw" us to the Lombardi Trophy. He may run and accurately pass us there, but that's all we can hope for right now. The question remains, can he evolve into "that guy"?

Lets review Garrard.

My first thoughts of Garrard last year are the supporting cast. We know who the WR's were, and we know that maybe they could have started for Seattle last year...maybe. The offensive line was in shambles, and we all knew this after we lost to a Titans team that we would've crushed the year prior. The 2008 season was going to be a disappointment. How bad? We didn't know for sure, so, we as fans were forever optimistic?

Then, ever so slowly, it happened. Like the sun setting on a beautiful day, suddenly, we looked up and noticed it was gone, only a fleeting memory remained. This occurred at differing times for each one of us. For some, it may have been by halftime of the first week. For me, however, it was the Bengals game we lost. I lasted throughout the Browns game because i felt like I saw a drive in Matt Jones I hadn't seen before. This excitement held the disillusionment at bay, momentarily at least. I had just seen a WR play, and in our uniform to boot. He played with drive, he played with instinct, he even knew when to run out of bounds. Then his basketball skills failed him on the tip drill that followed that spectacular run-out-of-bounds play. Most importantly, I saw Garrard learn that he had a go-to guy. This may have even confused Garrard, because he was used to hitting wr's in the chest and then having to back up ten yards, or worse, do it all over because they thought they were there to block, not catch.

In 2007, Garrard led a stunning offense. We all remember our offense emerging to become number two in the league following the bye week. We were behind only the best offense in NFL history, the 2007 New England Patriots. Vic is kind enough to continually point out how Tom Brady and the Patriots ruin our seasons as much as the Colts do. That's a whole other article, though.

That year we saw a QB play, and play good. Some say his interception total shouldve been higher. I say, so should every QB's. What I learned was that Garrard was accurate, Garrard was comfortable, and Garrard could play. Garrard did have a solid line and a running attack that year as well. This led to him being labeled a "game manager". That was his role, and he filled it well. So well he almost made the Pro Bowl. The next year, however, challenged him. He responded well at times, and poorly at other times. He took the hits, threw the balls with a guy in his face and watched receivers fail to catch them. I dont know about you, but that would have depressed me. Now, he did make situations worse at times, but all quarterbacks do occassionally, especially when they're throwing off their back foot.

The only game in 2008 where we looked like the team from 2007, was against the Lions, and thats like cheating. I really do feel sorry for those fans, it's not fair to them. We might look at our current situation and say, "Hey, this sucks, it's not fair". Well, it's fair for all teams, but at this point im rambling.

Back on topic, I truly feel that we need youth at the quarterback position. I don't care what round, I'm no draftnik. I don't understand scouting, God knows i try, but that is all it is. Effort without understanding. I can tell you what I believe, and my belief is that Garrard can evolve into this passer that we want him to be. Garrard has never had a true number one receiver. Garrard could do wonders with a receiver that he knows he can trust. Thats what he does, he plays with heart and he needs the trust, as evidenced by the way he asked the coaches about the team drafting a quarterback. He needs the family feel, the confidence he's the guy. Don't worry about if it's sissy, or if it is anything. Just accept it.

He got that with Matt Jones later on in the season and it worked beautifully. Now, this was not a Manning/Harrison or a Warner/Fitzgerald combination. This was Garrard, finally finding his guy. One that was reliable, but not flashy. If he has the line, and the running game at a slight level above that of 2007, which i believe he will, then he will be in a good position. However, to take full advantage of this opportunity he will need a reliable reciever. I know we all know this, and we can hope for "whoever" all day long, but we probably won't get them. So, what we can do is let Garrard get connected with the people we have, and hopefully, Gene hooks him up in the draft. I know, I know, that's boring you say. Well thats how it is, for better or for worse. That's all Garrard has to hang his hat on, and it doesnt look any better to him either. Let's just hang in there and watch, it's what were best at.

I say we should be true fans, and root for our team before we give up on this guy. He will give his best every play. After all, he has already lost twenty pounds because he felt like he could improve his play. That's commitment, and that defines Garrard. I honestly can't wait to watch Garrard with a reliable receiver that can "move those chains" everytime he has the ball, or even most of the time. I wonder though, will he ever have his chance to prove himself on an even field with everyone else? That means with quality recievers.

So, I will sit and watch Garrard with hope, and a loud voice screaming for him, However, if he does something stupid, I will question him and think about when we skipped Roethlisberger (hey, that's what fans do!).



This is just my own humble opinion, please put me in my place if you feel im wrong. If not, let me know your thoughts.

**this was edited by silencecs on BigCatCountry.com**

No comments:

Post a Comment